WELCOME to the Renville County Historical Society Page. To visit the official website click the following link www.renvillecountyhistoricalsociety.com
The Renville County Historical Society was organized in 1940 for the purpose of collecting, preserving, and sharing the history of Renville County. 2015 marks the 75th Anniversary of the organization.
RCHS Museum Grounds:
The Museum was originally housed in the Norfolk Township District #28 schoolhouse. In 1953, land was donated to the Historical Society to finally have a Museum. At that point two Norfolk Township schoolhouses were moved onto their current location. The Museum has grown to a 7 building complex. The Main Museum was moved in 1988 to the current structure. This building houses exhibits, offices, restrooms and the research area. The other buildings include: St. John's Church, the Machine Shed, Schoolhouse, Dish Building, the Blacksmith Shop (closed for repair) and the new building that protects the Lerud Log Cabin.
Museum Entrance Fee: $5.00 per person (13 & Older) $3.00 (Ages 6 – 12) 5 & Under FREE!
Genealogical Research and Resources:
Come visit the Museum's Research Library
- County Newspapers 1870 -2008 on Microfilm; County Newspapers hardcopy 2009-present
- 1916 & 1980 Renville County History Books, as well as many other historical reference books!
- Family Surname Files!
- Volunteer researchers to help you with your search for an fee!
- Extensive items on the Dakota War, County Military Veterans and area photographs
- Donations needed to help support the Paint It Project: The two Norfolk schoolhouses have been painted but additional funds are necessary. RCHS would also like to have St. John's Church painted by September 2015. Any amount you can donate will be appreciated. Please mail your donations to: RCHS, Attn. Paint It Project, 441 N Park Dr, Morton, MN, 56270. If you have questions on this project please contact the Executive Director, Nicole Elzenga, 507.697.6147.
- New exhibits in the Main Museum
- Digitizing newspapers, local records, and photographs
- Data Entry of Genealogical Information
- Remembering and marking grave sites
- Recording cemeteries
- Designing new exhibit areas in the New Building
- Rebuilding our Blacksmith Shop
- Redesigning the current Dish Building (Norfolk Schoolhouse District 28)
Your Membership to RCHS is a great way to contribute to the preservation of Renville County History, plus members receive:
- Free Admission to the Museum!
- Our quarterly Newsletter the Suland Sentinel!
- and 10% off items in our Gift Shop!
Become a Member
Please support the Renville County Historical Society today with your donation of any increment. Your donations are tax-deductible. RCHS is a 501(c)(3) organization.
Make a Donation