WIC Works…Let Us Help!
WIC is a nutritional education program for pregnant, breastfeeding and postpartum women, infants, and children up to age five. You receive nutritious foods at no cost, nutrition counseling for yourself and your children.
Who Is Eligible For WIC?
The following Renville County residents who meet the program's liberal income guidelines:
- Pregnant women
- Women breastfeeding an infant under 1 year of age
- Women who have a baby less than 6 months old - If baby is 6 to 12 months of age, and not breastfed
- Infants and children up to 5 years old -- If child is 5 years old, apply to MAC
- Participation in Food Stamps, MFIP, or Medical Assistance is automatic income qualification for an individual.
- Higher income guidelines apply to pregnant women and children under 2. Call 320-523-3762 for this information.
What Does WIC Provide?
Nutrition information, infant and child feeding tips, breastfeeding counseling, referrals for health care, and supplemental foods like these for women and children:
- 100 % Fruit Juice
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Iron Fortified Cereals
- Dry beans, canned beans and peanut butter
- Whole grain bread and tortillas or brown rice or oatmeal
In addition to the above foods, breastfeeding women receive extra amounts of these foods if they are exclusively breastfeeding (using no WIC formula), plus tuna or salmon.
Infants receive the following:
- Infant Cereal
- Infant Juice
- Iron Fortified Formula
- Fresh bananas
How Do You Get WIC?
Call the Renville County WIC Program to apply and schedule an appointment. The phone number is 320-523-3762.