Vital Statistics - Death Certificates
Death records are on file for persons who died in Renville County or lived in Renville County at the time of death. You must prove tangible interest in order to obtain a Minnesota death certificate. People who have tangible interest in a certificate are:
- The parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, spouse, sibling
- The party responsible for filing the birth record
- The personal representative and the certified copy is required for the administration of the estate.
- The successor of the subject, as defined in MN Statutes section 524.1-201, and the certified copy is required for the administration of the estate.
- The trustee of a trust and the certified copy is for the administration of the trust
- You can demonstrate that the information from the record is necessary for the determination or protection of personal or property rights. (Must submit documentation showing this relationship)
- You represent an adoption agency and the record is needed to complete a confidential post-adoption search. (You must include a copy of your employee id)
- You represent a local, state or federal governmental agency and it is necessary to secure a certified copy for authorized agency duties. (You must inlucde a copy of your employee id)
- You are an attorney
- You are presenting the office with a court order issued by a court of competent jurisdiction. (This must be a certified copy)
- You are a representative authorized by a person under one of the above items. (Must have a notarized statement)
Fee / Payment Options:
The fee is $13.00 for the first certified copy and $6.00 for each additional certified copy of the same record if ordered at the same time. You may pay by cash, personal check, money order or credit card in person. You may pay by personal check, money order or credit card (call office for credit card payment) when ordering through the mail. Please make checks payable to the Renville County Recorder.
Apply by Mail or Fax:
You must complete the Minnesota Death Certificate Application form and have your signature notarized before sending it to us along with your payment. You can download the Minnesota Death Certificate form here.
Send mail requests to:
Renville County Recorder
500 E DePue Ave – Suite 203
Olivia, MN 56277
Send fax requests to:
Renville County Recorder
Fax Number: 320-523-3650
When we receive payment we will mail out the Death Certificate requested via fax.
Apply in Person:
If applying for a Death Certificate in person the requester will need to prove tangible interest and show "proof of identity". Proof of identity documents include:
- Unexpired Drivers License (not temporary or learner's permit)
- Unexpired State issued identification card
- Unexpired United States passport
- Naturalization Certificate If requester does not have acceptable identification, a witness with acceptable identification can attest to the requester's identity. The witness must have known the requester for at least two years and a family member is preferred
Request in person at:
Renville County Courthouse
County Recorder’s Office – Suite 203 - 2nd Floor