PRISON RAPE ELIMINATION ACT (PREA)
The Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003 (PREA) is a federal law that prohibits sexual misconduct in correctional settings such as prisons, jails, lockups, juvenile facilities, and Immigration Services ⁄ ICE detention facilities. Sexual misconduct under this law includes:
- Offender–on–offender sexual assault and abuse
- Staff–on–offender sexual misconduct (sexual or other inappropriate relationships with offenders)
- Offender–on–offender and staff–on–offender sexual harassment
The Renville County Jail has a policy of zero tolerance with regard to sexual abuse and sexual harassment in this facility and will take appropriate affirmative measures to protect all inmates of sexual abuse and sexual harassment. All allegations of sexual assault, abuse or harassment will be promptly and thoroughly investigated. Any person or inmate may report any allegation on the behalf of any inmate in the Renville County Jail by:
- Calling the Renville County Jail at 320-523-3600; or,
- Calling Renville County Sheriff's Dispatch at 320-523-1161 to speak with a Sheriff's Office Investigator; or,
- Calling the Renville County Crime Stoppers Tip Line at 800-720-3790; or,
- Reporting the event online at the Renville County Sheriff's Office web tip page
** Inmates may also report in person, through written inmate communication, through grievance system via the electronic kiosks located in the housing units (as applicable); or,
Inmates that have experienced a sexual assault or are aware of an assault are encouraged to immediately inform a staff member or supervisor as this will provide the quickest response.
False allegations of sexual assault may result in criminal charges being filed against the reporter.
PREA Audit Report