IDENTITY THEFT / SCAM PREVENTION
While there is no way to list describe every scam (because they constantly change and new ones are constantly being created), there are a few "Golden Rules" to follow, which will help keep you from becoming a victim:
The Golden Rules of Scam and Identity Theft Prevention
1. If it sounds too good to be true, it's most likely a scam (winning a monetary prize, receiving an unexpected check or money order, etc.)
2. Don't fall for pressured scare tactics from callers. Take the time to do your research.
3. Be suspicious of anyone calling you and requesting you to send money.
3. NEVER wire money to someone who you have never met in person.
4. Never share your financial account or other identifying numbers with anyone.
5. Regularly run credit reports on yourself.
If you're not sure if it's a scam or not, please feel free to contact the Sheriff's Office. We may be able to provide you with related information or help you to determine its validity.
For further information, please click on the following links: