Your Rights

As a crime victim, you have the right to be notified of: 
  • Victims' Rights 
  • Plea bargain agreements 
  • Changes in scheduling of Court proceedings; dates, time and place of sentencing. 
  • Decision not to prosecute a domestic assault or harrassment case 
  • Release of offender from prison or institution 
  • Transfer to a less secure correctional facility 
  • Escape and apprehension of offender 
  • Any pending appeals by the defendant, including the right to attend oral argument or hearing

Remember: Tampering with a witness is a crime. If you are threatened or harrassed by anyone, call your local law enforcement agency immediately and also notify the prosecuting attorney.

As a crime victim, you have the right to participate in prosecution:
    • Right to inform court of impact of crime at pre-trial and sentencing or disposition hearings 
    • Right to have input in pre-trial diversion program for crimes against persons 
    • Right to request speedy trial 
    • Right to bring a supportive person to pre-trial hearing 
    • Right to receive restitution 
    • Right to attend sentencing or disposition hearings 
    • Right to receive restitution and to request a probation review hearing 
    • Right to be notified of the outcome of the case 
    • Right to object to the plea bargain agreement or final sentence 
    • Right to inform the court of the social and economic impact of crime on persons and businesses in the community
You have the right to protection from harm:
  • Tampering with a witness is a crime in Minnesota 
  • Witnesses do not have to give their addresses in open court 
  • Victims have the right to a secure waiting area during court
  • Employers may not discipline or discharge victims or witnesses who are called to testify in court. 
  • You can get specific information about a case in Renville County by calling the Renville County Attorney Office at 320-523-2661 or 800-545-4571.

You could be eligible for reparations from the state if you are a victim of a violent crime and have out-of-pocket costs related to medical, counseling, or a funeral or wage loss. You could be eligible for restitution from the defendant, if he/she is found guilty or enters a guilty plea.

Crime Victims Reparations Board: 651-282-6256