Feedlot Program

 When do I need to register as a feedlot?  

  • When there is 10 animal units or more which is located within the Shoreland District.
  • When there is 50 animal units or more located in a non-Shoreland District.

  When do I need a feedlot permit? 

  • A new or expanded feedlot capable of holding 300 animal units or more and meeting the requirements in Minnesota Rules Chapter 7020 shall apply for a state feedlot permit.

 When is a Conditional Use Permit needed?

  • Any new feedlot greater than 300 animal units.
  • Any expansion of an existing feedlot that will exceed 300 animal units.
  • Any expansion of a legal, nonconforming feedlot greater than 300 animal units.
  • Any change in ownership of an existing feedlot greater than 300 animal units, which is not currently permitted by a Conditional Use Permit.
  • Any expansion of an existing feedlot in the Shoreland District.
  • Any expansion of any existing feedlot within one mile of a city boundary.
  • Any feedlot that requires a NPDES Permit.
  • Any feedlot requiring an Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW).  The permitting authority shall be the regulatory unit of government responsible for all required EAWs.
  • Whenever any existing or proposed feedlot operation proposes the construction of an above ground manure storage structure.
  • Whenever there is proposed to be a change in animal type at an existing feedlot greater than 300 animal units, as defined by this Ordinance.

  What is a Conditional Use Permit? 

  • A Conditional Use Permit is a “land use” permit that involves a public hearing, review by the Renville County Planning Commission, and action or decision by the Renville County Board of Commissioners.

  What is a NPDES Permit? 

  • A National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit is issued by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency for the purpose of regulation the discharge of pollutants from point sources including concentrated animal feeding operations.

For more information on feedlot permitting contact the Environmental Services Office at 320-523-3768.

2018 County Feedlot Officer (CFO) Annual Report
2018 MPCA County Feedlot Financial Report