Comprehensive Local Water Planning
RENVILLE COUNTY WATER MANAGEMENT
In 1989, the Renville County Board of Commissioners adopted a resolution to develop a Comprehensive Local Water Plan, according to Minnesota Statutes 110B. The Plan was to serve two purposes. The first was to identify existing and potential problems and opportunities for the protection, management and development of water and related land resources. The second purpose was to develop goals, objectives and a work plan to implement programs and strategies to promote the sound management of water and land resources for effective environmental protection. The Plan focused on surface water, groundwater, related land resources and land use. The original Comprehensive Local Water Plan was approved by the Board of Soil and Water Resources (BWSR) and officially adopted by the Renville County Board of Commissioners in 1991. Since then, Renville County has revised its Water Plan in 1996, 2002, 2007, and 2013.
According to requirements of Minnesota Statute 103B, the Renville County Water Management Plan must:
- Cover the entire area of Renville County;
- Address water problems in the context of watershed units and groundwater systems;
- Be based upon principles of sound hydrologic management of water, effective environmental protection and efficient management;
- Be consistent with comprehensive water plans prepared by counties and watershed management organizations wholly or partially within a single watershed unit or groundwater system; and
- Serve as a 10-year Water Plan (2013-2023), with at 5-year Implementation Plan (2013-2018). In 2018, the Implementation Plan will be updated.
The current Renville County Comprehensive Local Water Management Plan was officially approved by the Minnesota Board of Water and Soil Resources (BWSR) on June 26, 2013, and adopted for implementation by the Renville County Board of Commissioners on August 13, 2013. The Water Plan is effective for a ten-year period until June 26, 2023. The Renville County Environmental Services Office is responsible for administering the Renville County Comprehensive Local Water Management Plan.
Renville County Comprehensive Local Water Management Plan -
GOAL 1: PROTECT AND IMPROVE SURFACE WATER QUALITY
GOAL 2: REDUCE EROSION AND SEDIMENT LOADINGS TO SURFACE WATERS RESOURCES
GOAL 3: PROTECT AND IMPROVE SURFACE WATER MANAGEMENT
GOAL 4: ENSURE A SAFE AND ADEQUATE SUPPLY OF GROUNDWATER
GOAL 5: PROTECT AND IMPROVE BIODIVERSITY AND RECREATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES
GOAL 6: INCREASE OPPORTUNITIES FOR COLLABORATION AND COORDINATION TO EFFECTIVELY IMPLEMENT THE WATER PLAN