Health Care Programs

State and federally funded medical programs administered by the county may pay for all or part of a qualifying resident's medical bills. The medical programs include:

  • Medical Assistance (MA) - MA is a federal program that may pay for qualifying persons' medical, dental and prescription bills for three months prior to an application, as well as current and future medical expenses.
  • Medical Assistance for Employed Persons with Disabilities (MA-EPD) - This program allows working people with disabilities to qualify for Medical Assistance under higher income and asset limits. It is intended to encourage persons with disabilities to work and enjoy the financial benefits of being employed. There will be a premium payment based on income.
  • Medical Assistance for Long-Term Care Services (LTC-MA) - The program may pay for nursing home services or in-home services for people who would otherwise need to be in a nursing home. LTC-MA is for persons who are disabled or age 65 and older.


1. How do I apply for help through one of the medical programs?

There are two ways to apply for our medical programs. The easiest way for most applicants would be to go online to www.MNsure.org and fill out the online application.

Some applicants may still need a paper application, including individuals over 65, individuals on Medicare, or individuals applying for Long Term Care or Group Residential Housing. To apply for one of those applications, call or stop by Renville County Human Services and ask for a paper application. Fill out the application, attach the verification required and return it to Renville County Human Services. The application can be returned by mail. For more information, call 320-523-2202.

2. Although I am disabled, I am working. I still need help with medical costs, is there any help for me?

To qualify for Medical Assistance for Employed Persons with Disabilities (MA-EPD), the applicant must be certified as disabled by the Social Security Administration or a state medical review team. MA-EPD requires that the applicant be ineligible for regular MA. A premium payment will be required. It will be based on income.