Cash assistance programs help individuals and families who meet program guidelines to supplement income to meet basic needs. The type of assistance you may be eligible for depends on life circumstances and the household composition.

Diversionary Work Program (DWP) - DWP is a four-month program that provides services and other program support to eligible families to help them move immediately to work rather than go on welfare.
DWP Resource Guide

General Assistance (GA) - GA is a monthly cash payment for adults or married couples without children who cannot work, have little or no income and are not able to get help from other state or federal programs. GA helps with money for food, housing and other basic needs.

Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) - MFIP is a monthly cash payment to qualifying families. It helps families, pregnant women, and those with one or more children under age 18.
MFIP Financial Overview

Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) - MSA is a monthly cash payment that helps people whose disability, retirement, or other income is not enough. It is for people age 65 or older, those who are blind and the disabled age 18 and older.

Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) - RCA is a monthly cash payment for certain non-citizens who are considered refugees, and who have been in the United States eight months or less.

Renville County has developed the Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) Biennial Service Agreement for January 1, 2022 to December 31, 2023. Copies of the proposed Agreement are available for review upon request. 

Melissa Koford, Financial Assistance Supervisor
105 S 5th Street Suite 203H
Olivia, MN 56277
(320) 523-2202

Applications are available by:
   • Applying online at MNbenefits
   • Calling Renville County Human Services, call 320-523-2202 or 800-363-2533
   • Downloading and printing the Combined Application Form (CAF)
   • Obtaining an application at Renville County Human Services or a local City Office in Renville County

Renewing your cash benefits

When it is time to renew your cash benefits, you will receive a notice in the mail. Once you receive the notice you can go to MNbenefits and click the Apply Now button. Individuals who are renewing their benefits will follow the same application process as those applying for benefits for the first time.

You will receive the Household Update Form in the mail even if you have already submitted your renewal application online. If you choose to complete the paper forms, you should fill out and sign the form, return it to Renville County by uploading to MNbenefits. You can also submit documents by email, fax, drop box, or mail.

Email: hs@renvillecountymn.com
Fax: 320-523-3565
Drob Box: Located in the lobby of Renville County Government Center (24 hours)
Mail: 105 South 5th St. Suite 203H, Olivia, MN 56277