Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as food support, is an electronic benefit used like money to buy food. SNAP benefits are for qualifying individuals and families with or without children. The benefit amount is based on income, certain expenses and the number of people in the household. To see if you may qualify for the program, complete the Food Support Questionnaire.

Applications are available here: Combined Application Form (CAF) or can be picked up at our office. (It is important to get Page 1 of the CAF completed and into the office as soon as possible. Your assistance may begin from the date Page 1 is signed and submitted).

If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact Renville County Human Services.
Call 320-523-2202 or 800-363-2533 or stop in at the office.
You can also apply online through MNbenefits.mn.gov

Renewing your SNAP benefits

When it is time to renew your SNAP benefits you will receive a notice in the mail. The form you receive will serve as your renewal for SNAP benefits. The information you will provide is about your household on the day you complete the form. We will use this information to determine whether you remain eligible for assistance, or if your benefits need to be adjusted.

Household Change Report Form

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I use my EBT card?

How to Use Your Minnesota EBT Card

Can I use my EBT card to shop for groceries online?

Yes, you can shop online using your EBT card. CLICK HERE to view a flyer with more information.

What do I do if my EBT card is lost or stolen?

Call customer service (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) at 1-888-997-2227 to report your card lost or stolen. It can take up to 5 business days to receive your replacement card. A $2.00 card replacement fee will be deducted from either your food or cash benefits.

Do I have to use all my SNAP benefits up in the month I receive them?

No; however, if your benefits are not accessed for one year from the date of issuance they may be removed from your card. If this happens, call your eligibility worker for assistance.

How long does it take after I apply to know if I qualify?

It depends on your situation. For some emergency situations, benefits can be issued within 5 days. In most situations, the county will notify you by mail of a decision within 30 days.

How are my SNAP benefits received?

SNAP benefits are distributed through and Electronic Benefits (EBT) card. Every month, benefits are issued to the EBT card and the funds can be used to buy food at places that accept SNAP such as grocery stores and farmers markets. The card is swiped and a code number is entered (called a Personal Identification Number or PIN). The PIN helps keep benefits safe if the card is ever lost or stolen. 

What can I purchase with SNAP benefits?

SNAP benefits can be used to purchase all food products not including alcohol and tobacco, nonfood items such as vitamins and medicines, foods that will be eaten in the store, and hot foods.

                                                                      SNAP DISCRIMINATION STATEMENT

Public notice of nondiscrimination statement:

In accordance with federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture regulations, Renville County is prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) online and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call 866-632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

Mail:    U.S. Department of Agriculture
              Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
              1400 Independence Avenue SW
              Washington, D.C.  20520-9410

Fax:      202-690-7442; or

Email:  program.intake@usda.gov 

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.